Universal Credit FAQs

Q. What if I don’t have a bank account?

To receive your Universal Credit payments each month, you need to open some form of account. This is easy to do, and all you’ll need is proof of address and a form of ID. You can either open a Credit Union Account, a Post Office Card account, a basic bank account or a current account.

Q. I don’t have access to the internet, what can I do?

One of the problems with Universal Credit is that it is an online service. If you don’t have access to the internet or if you have difficulty using computers, you might find it daunting.

You can use the internet at your local library, your local jobcentre or on a smartphone.

Q. I have difficulty reading.

If you have difficulty reading you should contact the helpline or local jobcentre. An adviser will help cater your Universal Credit claim to you.

Q. Is Universal Credit in my area yet?

If you are unsure, you can use the Citizens Advice postcode checker:


Q. Are there Welsh options?

If you need to make a claim in Welsh, you should contact the Universal Credit helpline. You will not be able to make an online claim in Welsh.

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.

Sign in

Sign Up

Forgotten Password

Job Quick Search