Are you eligible for Student Finance in Wales?
There are lots of different things that can affect your student finance application. For you to be eligible your course must take place in the UK and be one of the following:
- A first degree (e.g. a BA, BEd, BSc)
- A Foundation Degree
- An integrated master’s degree
- A Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
- A Higher National Diploma (HND)
- A Higher National Certificate (HNC)
- A Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- A postgraduate healthcare course
Some other conditions for student loans exist:
- Your course must be at a recognised university or college for you to receive student finance payments.
- If you are a part-time student, your course should cover at least 25% of a full-time course in one year.
- This is your first time receiving student finance.
- You don’t already have a degree. There are some exceptions to this rule. You may still be eligible if you have an Honours degree but then begin an engineering or computer science course. You may also be eligible if you are building on an HND, HNC or DipHe and completing an actual Honours degree. You will also be eligible if you are starting a healthcare course.
- You’re a British national or you have permanent residency status. You must live in Wales throughout the year and have a fixed address.
- You have lived in the United Kingdom for the past three years with no breaks.
If you are not a British national, you may still be eligible for loans from Student Finance Wales. You may be able to claim if you are any of the following:
- You are the child of a Turkish employee in the UK.
- You have a parent from Switzerland.
- You are from the EU.
- You are a migrant worker from the European Economic Area.
- You are a refugee or have protected status in the UK.
- You are under 18 and have lived in the UK for the past 7 years.
- You are over 18 and have lived in the UK for at least half of your life (or the past 20 years – whichever comes first).
One thing that won’t affect your student finance claim is your age. You can apply whenever, as long as you meet the conditions above.