Applying For Student Finance At University For 2nd and 3rd Year in Scotland

Once you start university or college, you will need to apply again for student finance each year. For example, if your degree is 3 years long, you will have to apply for student finance for all three years.

Usually, this is very easy. All you have to do is confirm that you’re continuing the course and none of your circumstances have changed.

You can apply using your student finance account.

You can also use this account to:

  • View loan statements (amount you’ve borrowed, interest amounts, etc.)
  • Check when your next payment is going to come to your account.
  • Change an old password.
  • Find your Customer Reference Number (CRN). This is your personal number used to identify your loan.
  • Update any personal details like your address, name or parents'/partner's details.
  • Apply for a loan for the next year at university.

Changes in your circumstances

You must tell student finance immediately if any of your circumstances change. You can do this online using your account or through calling the helpline.

This could be anything like:

  • Your household income increasing/decreasing.
  • Getting married.
  • Getting divorced.
  • Changing your course.
  • Deciding to leave university/college.
  • Changing your name.


You will start getting interest on your loan from the day that you receive student finance.

The interest rate you get depends on what plan you’re on. All Scottish students are Plan 1.

For Plan 1 students, the interest while you’re studying and after you’ve graduated is 1.5%.

Once you graduate, you will pay 1.25% interest on your loan.

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.

Sign in

Sign Up

Forgotten Password