Homeless Street Outreach and Support Worker Job in Manchester at Reach Out to the CommunityFull Time
We have an excellent opportunity for a Homeless Street Outreach and Support Worker
working for a small independent homeless charity in South Manchester.
The role will be focused on working with the street homeless population in and around
South Manchester borough, engaging with them and referring into the relevant services.
Main Purpose of the role:
You will design and deliver tailored support to people ROC supports on an individual
assessment of their needs, whilst assisting with the development of the Outreach Service,
making an effective contribution to the Charity objectives. You will be responsible for
ensuring the inputting and recording of outreach work undertaken and the outcomes of
individual support cases are being recorded.
● Through close engagement with the people ROC supports, you will build a positive,
inclusive relationship that promotes and develops independence.
● To engage and involve individuals who may be experiencing homelessness or experiencing
poverty, especially those who are marginalised and /or vulnerable.
● Liaising with a range of specialist agencies on client’s behalf and providing follow up
appointments for them.
● Driving to and taking the people ROC supports to appointments.
● To work flexibly and responsively and carry out detached /outreach work
● To build and maintain strong links with outreach and support workers in partnership
● To keep records of meetings undertaken with partner agencies.
● To assist and support the Chief Executive Officer with the Outreach service.
● Help to promote the service to external agencies
● Work with external voluntary and statutory agencies in a spirit of partnership and
● Knowledge of services to refer to within the local area.
● Provide monthly reports updating on the progress of the outreach service and adhere to
all ROC’s policies and procedures and to attend monthly staff meetings.
● Engage in learning and development activities to increase knowledge and skills.
● Deliver Street and community-based outreach to entrenched street homeless people
experiencing multiple and complex needs.
● Support people to access secure, safe and stable accommodation.
● Provide harm reduction interventions, to empower people to engage in safer lifestyles.
● Ensure all records, processes and systems are up to date and maintained to assist with
data collection and performance management.
● Provide support and advocate for the people ROC supports to navigate, engage with and
stay engaged with services.
● Undertake any other duties consistent with the nature of the post as assigned by the
● Ability to work unsociable hours, early mornings and late nights.
● Hold an enhanced DBS check issued within the last 12 months or registered to the online
● To contribute to the development and participate in fundraising events.
● To compile content material for social media accounts i.e. Facebook.
● To attend regular supervision meetings with an appointed line manager.
•Have an understanding and experience of working with the homeless.
● Ability to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers and partners.
● The ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
● Friendly and approachable with excellent customer service skills.
● Ability to demonstrate patience and resilience to the everyday pressures that come with
the role, especially interacting with people experiencing homelessness.
● Excellent organisational and communication skills.
● Enthusiastic and motivated with the ability to motivate others.
● Professionalism and being able to use your own initiative and be reliable, flexible and
● Relate well to all sections of the community and be non-judgmental.
● Confident about being a lone worker.
● Good level of literacy and numeracy skills with some familiarity with information
technology including databases and word packages.
● At least three years’ experience engaging in outreach / support services to people
● Able to drive and hold a current driving licence with access to own vehicle for business
The above duties are not intended to be an exhaustive list, but an indication of the
requirements of the post. The duties within this may vary from time to time to reflect the
changing needs of the charity and its services.
To apply please email your CV and personal statement demonstrating the job spec to:
Applications from persons with lived experience, who haven’t accessed services for 5+ years,
Closing date for applications – 09/01/2023-5pm