An ESA budgeting loan is available Employment And Support Allowance claimants after at least 6 months claiming ESA.
There are three ways to apply for a ESA Budgeting Loan:
- by phone, the Budgeting Loan phone number is 0800 169 0140
- apply for a Budgeting Loan online
- by post, using a paper version of the SF500 form.
Find out more about how to apply for a Budgeting Loan, eligibility criteria, how much money you’re be able to get and how long it will take to receive a decision on your Budgeting Loan application.
Table of Contents
A Budgeting Loan is a personal loan available from the DWP.
You are not eligible to apply for a Budgeting Loan if:
- you’re involved in industrial action (for example, a strike, walkout or lockout)
- you owe more than £1,500 in total for Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans
Budgeting Loan Phone Number
The Budgeting Loan phone number is no longer 0345 603 6967. The DWP have a Budgeting Loan 0800 number so you can call for free. You can use the Budgeting Loan contact number to request a SF500 or to ask questions about the progress of your Budgeting Loan application.
Budgeting Loan Application
|Budgeting Loan||Contact Numbers|
|Budgeting Loan Telephone||0800 169 0140|
|Budgeting Loan Textphone||0800 169 0140|
|Budgeting Loan Welsh language||0800 169 0240|
|Budgeting Loan Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone):||18001 then 0800 169 0140|
You can apply for a Budgeting Loan online. The DWP have an online Budgeting Loan application process.
You can also complete a PDF application form to apply for a Budgeting Loan called an SF500 form.
How to apply for a Budgeting Loan
To apply for a Budgeting Loan online, please click here.
If you apply for a Budgeting Loan online, you’ll find out whether you’ve been successful with your loan application within 15 working days.
If you accept the Budgeting Loan offer you receive, it will be a further 11 working days before you’ll receive the money.
Your Budgeting Loan will be payed into your bank account, your building society account or your credit union account.
You can also apply for Budgeting Loan by post. Collect a SF500 application from your nearest Jobcentre or call the Social Fund phone number to request for a Budgeting Loan form to be posted to you. The phone number to call to request a Budgeting Loan form from the Social Fund is 0800 169 0140.
You can post your Budgeting Loan application form or hand it in to your local Jobcentre Plus office.
It may take up to 19 working days to process your Budgeting Loan application. Wait until the processing period is complete before phoning the Budgeting Loan number to check the progress of your application.
What can I pay for using a Budgeting Loan?
- furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
- clothing or footwear
- advance rent payments
- house move costs
- home maintenance, improvements or security costs
- funeral costs
- maternity costs
- travelling costs (within the UK)
- costs related to searching for and applying for jobs
- repayment of hire purchase loans
- repayment of loans taken for the above
How much money can I get with a Budgeting Loan?
The minimum amount you can borrow with a Budgeting Loan is £100. The maximum you can borrow with a Budgeting Loan is subject to your circumstances.
- If you’re single the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £348
- If you have a partner the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £464
- If you or your partner claim Child Benefit the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £812
When you apply for a Budgeting Loan the amount of money you’re able to borrow will depend on whether:
- you’re able to pay back the loan
- you have savings or more than £1,000 (or £2,000 if you or your partner are aged 63 or over)
- you are paying back an existing Crisis Loan or Budgeting Loan
Will I get a Budgeting Loan decision online?
After you apply for a Budgeting Loan, you’ll be given a decision on your application.
If you apply for a Budgeting Loan online, you’ll find out if you’ve been offered a loan within:
- 7 days if you get the Budgeting Loan decision by text or email
- 21 days if you get the Budgeting Loan decision by letter
If you apply for a Budgeting Loan by post, you’ll get a letter telling you if you’ve been offered a loan within 21 days.
How long does it take to get a Budgeting Loan after accepting?
When you receive a decision about your Budgeting Loan application, you need to accept the loan to receive the money.
You’ll get the money for your Budgeting Loan within:
- 7 days of accepting the loan offer online
- 21 days of your loan offer acceptance being received by post
The money will be paid directly into your bank account, building society or credit union account.
You’ll get a text message to confirm that your Budgeting Loan money has been sent to your account.