What is a social media assistant?
A social media assistant is a media marketing professional who helps oversee a company’s or client’s social media presence. They create and share posts, like comments, and even reply to DMs on behalf of their employer.
How to become a social media assistant?
Some employers may expect you to have a degree in a relevant subject, like advertising, marketing and public relations, digital and social media marketing, internet design, journalism or business management.
A degree with a work placement will help you gain valuable experience and may be an advantage when you look for work.
You could also start work with a social media or marketing company as an assistant or digital content writer. As you get more experience, you could work your way up into a management position.
You could also do qualifications through professional bodies like the Institute of Data and Marketing and The Chartered Institute of Marketing to help improve your prospects.
Social media assistant duties
Social media assistant duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Brainstorm campaigns
- Creates content that promotes audience interaction, increases audience presence on company sites, and encourages audience participation
- Assists social media management with large projects, events, and community management
- Use analytics tools to gauge the success of campaigns
- Research industry innovations and tools
- Writes and distributes e-newsletters to subscribers
- Manages social media communications
- Update posts to include relevant keywords for search engine optimization
Social media assistant skills
To be an effective social media assistant, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Eagerness to learn about new innovations and software
- Excellent time management skills
How to find a social media assistant job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the social media assistant jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for social media assistant jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
Social Media Assistant Job Titles
When you search for social media assistant jobs online, be aware that the jobs might be advertised using a different job title. Popular job titles for social media assistant jobs include;
- Social media manager
- Social media strategist
- Social media specialist
- Digital community manager
- Social media marketing manager
What does a social media assistant do?
The job of a social media assistant varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of social media assistant job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a social media assistant include;
- update social media sites
- write blogs, articles and posts
- respond to social media posts and discussions
- check online for company mentions and customer feedback
- oversee competitions and campaigns promoting your company
- promote social media use within your company
- develop strategies to increase your audience
- use social media tools to manage multiple sites
- use web tracking tools to check how effective your campaigns are