What is a sales consultant?
A sales consultant is responsible for finding customers who would purchase their company’s products. They are responsible for developing, planning and implementing the company’s sales strategies. They use their skills and experience to help businesses increase sales by suggesting specific improvements in the company’s processes.
How to become a sales consultant?
You may need to do a degree in a subject related to your area of sales. Many companies provide the necessary sales training, though a bachelor’s degree in sales or marketing may be preferred. You should have good communication skills, a personable disposition and the ability to listen well to be a successful sales consultant.
Sales consultant duties
Sales consultant duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Communicate with customers in person, by phone and by email to understand their needs
- Maintain a working knowledge of the company’s various products and services
- Establish and nurture relationships with past customers and potential customers to facilitate sales
- Follows up with any clients to make sure that they are satisfied with product
- Assembles any and all product displays in a given market
- Meets with retail associates to help them effectively sell products
- Finds new target markets and penetrates them to drive sales
- Identify opportunities for new client acquisition
- Monitor competition
- Create a motivational and healthy atmosphere for sales representatives
Sales consultant skills
To be an effective sales consultant, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
How to find a sales consultant job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the sales consultant jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for sales consultant jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does a sales consultant do?
The job of a sales consultant varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of sales consultant job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a sales consultant include;
- contact new and existing customers
- make presentations to promote new products
- agree sales, prices and delivery
- manage customer enquiries and issues
- record orders
- go to conferences to understand industry trends