What is an IT consultant?
IT consultants are external analysts who evaluate a company’s IT systems to help them meet their business objectives. They are contracted to work with industrial and commercial clients who are seeking help and advice about business and IT problems.
How to become an IT consultant?
You can do a degree or postgraduate qualification in computing, information systems, project management or business management. You can also get into this job through a project manager higher or degree apprenticeship. You can also do a digital and technology solutions degree apprenticeship and move into the role after getting experience.
You could do training with a professional body like the Association for Project Management or the Project Management Institute to help with your career development.
IT consultant duties
IT consultant duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Determine information system requirements and defining project objectives
- Design, install and try new systems and software, and fix any issues that arise
- Compile and present information
- Write reports and documentation
- Repair computer problems and removing viruses
- Train users
- Provide assistance with technical issues
- Revise existing systems and suggest improvements
IT consultant skills
To be an effective IT consultant, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Problem solving
- Data center management
- Understand strategy, business functions, decision-making and workflow
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software
- Knowledge of systems analysis and development
- Thorough and pay attention to detail
How to find an IT consultant job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the IT consultant jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for IT consultant jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
IT Consultant Job Titles
When you search for IT consultant jobs online, be aware that the jobs might be advertised using a different job title. Popular job titles for IT consultant jobs include;
- IT project lead
- IT programme manager
- Technology consultant
What does an IT Consultant do?
The job of an IT Consultant varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of IT Consultant job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of an IT Consultant include;
- speak to the client to find out what they need
- assess the risks related to different options
- choose the most appropriate project management method for the job
- work out and agree timescales, budgets and resources
- use project management software to plan development stages
- coordinate the project team
- monitor progress and keep clients and senior managers informed
- solve problems as they arise and adapt approaches
- work with project leads to test each stage of development
- provide documentation and training for users of the new system
- handover the new system in a smooth and timely manner
- confirm client satisfaction before signing off and evaluating completed tasks