What is an HR Manager?
The role of an HR manager is to support the business to deliver people-related processes, vision and strategy across the company, aligned with the law. They are responsible for managing the employee life cycle (recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, and firing employees) and administering employee benefits.
How to become an HR Manager?
You’ll need a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree course in:
You could also do a postgraduate course in human resource management if you have a first degree.
You could also do a college course like:
HR Manager duties
HR Manager duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Develop and monitor overall HR strategies, systems, tactics and procedures across the organization
- Nurture a positive working environment
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance
- Enhance the organization’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices
- Maintain the work structure by updating job requirements and job descriptions for all positions
- Retain historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system and keeping past and current records
- Cultivate professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies
HR manager skills
To be an effective HR manager, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Performance management
- Communication processes
- Compensation and wage structure
- Ability to act with integrity
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulation
- Able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
How to find an HR manager job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the HR manager jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for HR manager jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
HR Manager Job Titles
When you search for HR manager jobs online, be aware that the jobs might be advertised using a different job title. Popular job titles for HR manager jobs include;
- Training manager
- Payroll manager
- Talent Acquisition Manager
- Recruiting manager
What does an HR Manager do?
The job of an HR Manager varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of HR Manager job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of an HR Manager include;
- Lead an organisation’s HR team
- Support managers in getting the best out of their staff
- Design and put into place workplace policies
- Train and develop staff
- Handle complicated HR issues
- Advise senior managers on business change
- Work to improve employee relations
- Manage a budget
- Keep up to date with employment law