What is an HR assistant?
Human resource assistants are certified professionals who handle the daily administrative and HR duties of an organization. They support human resources processes by administering tests, scheduling appointments, conducting orientation, and maintaining records.
How to become an HR assistant?
There is no set entry route to become a human resources assistant but it may be useful to do a relevant subject like:
- Level 3 Award in Human Resources Essentials
- Level 3 Certificate in Human Resources Practice
- Level 3 Diploma in Skills for Business Human Resources
You can also get into this role through an advanced apprenticeship in HR support. This will typically take 18 to 24 months to complete.
HR assistant duties
HR assistant duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Compile and update employee records
- Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities
- Coordinate HR projects and take minutes
- Deal with employee requests regarding human resources issues, rules, and regulations
- Answers the telephone, relays messages, and maintains equipment and supplies
- Maintains employee confidence and protects operations by keeping human resource information confidential
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards
HR Assistant skills
To be an effective HR assistant, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Reporting skills
- Sound knowledge of labor laws and practices
- The ability to keep sensitive information confidential
- Must be approachable and helpful
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Good ethical judgment
- Strong administration skills
How to find an HR administrator job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the HR administrator jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for HR administrator jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does a HR administrator do?
The job of a HR administrator varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of HR administrator job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a HR administrator include;
- Answer enquiries
- Maintain computerised staff records
- Write documents like letters and reports
- Update employee holiday and sickness records
- Produce staff handbooks and newsletters
- Record discussions during disciplinary procedures
- Organise meetings and take minutes
- Set up recruitment and training events