What is a housekeeper?
A housekeeper is a person employed to manage a household. They handle light cleaning needed for the upkeep of homes as well as commercial buildings, such as offices, hotels, and hospitals. Typically they’ll replace bedding, clean rooms, halls and bathrooms, vacuum, sweep, mop, replace toiletries and make beds.
How to become a housekeeper?
You could take a college course to get some of the skills needed in this job. Courses include:
- Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Housekeeping)
- Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality Industry Skills (Housekeeping)
- Level 3 Award in Hospitality Supervision and Leadership Principles
You may be able to work your way up from room attendant or floor manager, if you show you have the necessary skills.
Housekeeper duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Deal with reasonable complaints/requests with professionalism and patience
- Check stocking levels of all consumables and replace when appropriate
- Using any cleaning equipment such as vacuums, mops, and other cleaning tools
- Keeping bathrooms stocked with clean linens, toiletries, and other supplies
- Dusting and polishing furniture and fixtures
- Adhere strictly to rules regarding health and safety and be aware of any company-related practices
- Notify superiors on any damages, deficits and disturbances
To be an effective housekeeper, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Ability to work with little supervision and maintain a high level of performance
- Customer-oriented and friendly
- Prioritization and time management skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer focus
- Listening skills
- Time management
How to find a housekeeper job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the housekeeper jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for housekeeper jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
Housekeeper Job Titles
When you search for housekeeper jobs online, be aware that the jobs might be advertised using a different job title. Popular job titles for housekeeper jobs include;
- Housekeeping aide
What does a housekeeper do?
The job of a housekeeper varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of housekeeper job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a housekeeper include;
- Prepare shift rotas and allocate daily cleaning duties to room attendants
- Inspect rooms to make sure that standards have been met
- Record any faults or damage and make arrangements for repairs
- Recruit, train and supervise staff
- Work closely with other department heads and the general manager