What is a hospitality assistant?
A hospitality assistant provides courteous, professional service to guests/patrons. They perform some general administrative functions in addition to maintenance duties.
How to become a hospitality assistant?
To become a hospitality assistant, you could do a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree. Useful subjects include business and hospitality management, culinary arts or culinary management, and hotel and catering management.
You could also take professional catering qualifications at college then move into management. You could also do a Level 4 Diploma in Hospitality Management and find work as a trainee hospitality assistant.
Hospitality assistant duties
Hospitality assistant duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Prepare all hospitality food and beverage requests offered to customers
- Assist with the ordering and deliveries as required
- Preparation of all hospitality requirements ensuring all items are available, carry out a service check for each hospitality request
- Keep a record of all hospitality delivered and ensure it is all collected at the stated time
- Ensure hospitality rooms are left tidy
- All used crockery and service ware should be brought back to the kitchen and left in an orderly manner at the wash up.
- Keep van clean and tidy and adhere to all food safety legislation relating to the food transportation of food items
- Control stock and reduce waste
- Ensure all areas within kitchen control are clean, hygienic and tidy at all times
- Ensure the safety and security of company and client property and money
- Comply with all Company and Client policies and procedures, statutory regulations relating to your workplace, this will include but not limited to fire; health and safety; hygiene; working safely
Hospitality assistant skills
To be an effective hospitality assistant, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually;
- Caring nature;
- Flexibility and being able to adapt to the needs of Residents.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
How to find a hospitality assistant job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the hospitality assistant jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for hospitality assistant jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs