What is a content writer?
A content writer produces relevant content for websites, blogs, articles, white papers, product descriptions, and social media platforms. They create print and digital content for companies that provides information or showcases the products or services they offer.
How to become a content writer?
You’ll need a high level of writing skill and talent. To develop these skills, you could get a qualification like a foundation degree, higher national diploma or degree in a subject like:
You could also do a postgraduate writing course to get into this career. You can do several things to develop your writing skills and learn more about the world of publishing. These include joining a local writers’ group, entering writing competitions, and blogging online.
Content writer duties
Content writer duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Develop new content ideas for clients
- Research topics so their content contains timely and accurate information
- Revise existing content to reflect business changes or new preferences
- Create or revising style guides, either alone or with a team, to ensure all written content is effective and consistent
- Organize writing schedules to complete drafts of content or finished projects within deadlines
- Utilize industry best practices and familiarity with the organization’s mission to inspire ideas and content
- Communicate and cooperate with a writing team, including a content manager, editors, and web publishers
Content writer skills
To be an effective content writer, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Good time management skills
- Proficiency with computers
- Impeccable grasp of the English language
- Excellent writing and editing skills
How to find a content writer job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the content writer jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for content writer jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does a content writer do?
The job of a content writer varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of content writer job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a content writer include;
- choosing a subject based on personal interest, or at the request of an agent or publisher
- coming up with ideas, plots or content headings
- researching information using the internet, libraries, site visits and personal interviews
- developing your story, article, blog, review or instruction manual
- submitting your draft to a publisher or editor
- revising your work after getting feedback
- uploading your work to websites or social media, or looking for publishing opportunities
- attending book signings, readings and discussions of your work
- running writing workshops