What is a concierge?
A concierge acts as the first point of contact between guests and an organization. provides personal services and assistance to clients at hotels, hospitals, apartments, and office buildings. The job involves tasks such as checking guests in, making reservations, providing recommendations for attractions or restaurants in the local area, and arranging transportation.
How to become a concierge?
You can take a college course before you look for work, like:
You can apply directly to employers if you’ve got some of the relevant skills and knowledge needed for this job. Experience in customer service will be helpful though not essential.
Employers will be interested in your personal qualities and will expect you to be hardworking, honest and a reliable time-keeper.
Concierge duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Complete exchanges and returns in a timely and professional manner
- Help with the organization of on-site events including weddings, business fairs, and corporate meetings
- Greet clients when they enter the building and guide them to their designated areas
- Acting as a first point of contact for queries and complaints
- Dealing with lost property and locating missing items
- Respond to complaints and find the appropriate solution
To be an effective concierge, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Outstanding guest services skills
- Sophisticated verbal & written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving abilities
- Highly responsible and reliable
- Polite and confident with a great deal of patience
How to find a concierge job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the concierge jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for concierge jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does a concierge do?
The job of a concierge varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of concierge job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a concierge include;
- understand customer’s needs and provide them with personalized solutions by suggesting activities and facilities provided by the hotel
- answer queries about the hotel and make reservations
- answer the phone and make reservations, take and distribute messages or mail and redirect calls
- arrange events, excursions, transportation etc. upon request from hotel residents
- take messages
- give directions
- respond to safety and security issues