What is a commercial manager?
Commercial managers typically work for corporations across industries to ensure that they continue to succeed and evolve within their target markets. They serve as a company leader, overseeing day-to-day operations and focusing on the long-term interests of the business. They work continuously to strategically expand, preserve or improve procedures, standards or policies whilst sticking to regulatory guidelines.
How to become a commercial manager?
Getting a degree in any subject can help you get into this type of job, although business or project management may give you an advantage.
You could also get into this career through a higher or degree apprenticeship in project management, lasting around 4 years.
You could train specifically to help businesses create environmentally friendly policies and practices through a sustainability business specialist degree apprenticeship.
Commercial manager duties
Commercial manager duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Resolving contractual and commercial problems
- Discovering areas that are not in-keeping with regulation practices
- Offering direction and instruction
- Analyses sales and other reports that give insight into how a company can make adjustments to improve performance
- Works with contract managers
- Coaches employees on best practices for managing contract issues and handling daily issues and tasks
- Assists commercial directors and works as a member of a cohesive team
- Works efficiently and calmly tight deadlines or other stress factors arise
Commercial manager skills
To be an effective commercial manager, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Ability to prioritise
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong coaching skills
- Strong negotiator
- Good numeracy skills
- Being able to work with a team
How to find a commercial manager job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the commercial manager jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for commercial manager jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does a commercial manager do?
The job of a commercial manager varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of commercial manager job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of a commercial manager include;
- Agree timescales, costs and resources
- Find out what the client or business wants to achieve
- Draw up a plan for each project stage
- Negotiate with contractors and suppliers
- Choose and lead a project team
- Constantly monitor progress, quality and costs
- Use specialised software and spreadsheets to plan, cost and analyse risks
- Report regularly to senior managers and the client