What is an architect?
An architect is a person who designs buildings and in many cases also supervises their construction. They plan and design houses, factories, office buildings, and other structures. They compile feasibility reports, determine environmental impact, create project proposals, estimate costs, determine timelines and oversee construction processes.
How to become an architect?
You’ll need to complete:
Architect duties are diverse and depend on the employer and specialty, but some responsibilities are common to most:
- Prepare drawings, specifications, and construction documents
- Design and document commercial and industrial building projects
- Consult with clients to determine their requirements
- Adapt plans according to circumstances and resolving any problems that may arise during construction
- Play a part in project and team management
- Travel regularly to building sites, proposed locations and client meetings
- Work around constraining factors such as town planning legislation, environmental impact and project budget
To be an effective architect, you’ll need certain skills and competencies. The following are often cited in job vacancies:
- Ability to accurately draw and sketch building designs using freehand techniques
- Excellent knowledge of modern construction materials
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work under indirect supervision
- Excellent knowledge of modern architectural principles, equations and processes
- Ability to use CAD software to produce detailed computer-generated designs
How to find a architect job
These jobs are advertised online, in local newspapers and at your local jobcentre. To find all the architect jobs near you, you need to:
- Search for architect jobs on popular job websites such as; Indeed, Total Jobs and CV Library
- Use the DWP’s Find A Job Service
- Check local newspapers and local Facebook groups, especially groups dedicated to local jobs
What does an architect do?
The job of an architect varies depending on the job role and the company you’re working for. Check the duties and responsibilities of architect job advertisements to find jobs that best suit your skills and experience.
The day-to-day tasks of an architect include;
- create hand sketches, 3D models and detailed technical plans using computer aided design (CAD) software
- create a plan, following building laws and safety regulations
- find cost-effective ways to work within budgets
- manage construction projects
- choose or advise on materials
- visit sites to check building work and progress
- communicate and share ideas with clients, other architects, and architectural technologists and technicians
- write reports and job proposals and complete planning applications