A Budgeting Loan is a personal loan available from the Government to help pay for a wide range of goods and services. To apply for a Budgeting Loan, you’ll need to have been on one of the following benefits for at least 6 months:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
You are not eligible to apply for a Budgeting Loan if:
- you’re involved in industrial action (for example, a strike, walkout or lockout)
- you owe more than £1,500 in total for Crisis Loans and Budgeting Loans
The Budgeting Loan phone number is 0345 603 6967. You can use the Budgeting Loan contact number to request a SF500 or to ask questions about the progress of your Budgeting Loan application.
Apply For A Budgeting Loan
To apply for a Budgeting Loan online, please click here.
If you apply for a Budgeting Loan online, you’ll find out whether you’ve been successful with your loan application within 15 working days.
If you accept the Budgeting Loan offer you receive, it will be a further 11 working days before you’ll receive the money.
Your Budgeting Loan will be payed into your bank account, your building society account or your credit union account.
You can also apply for Budgeting Loan by post. Collect a SF500 application from your nearest Jobcentre or call the Social Fund phone number to request for a Budgeting Loan form to be posted to you. The phone number to call to request a Budgeting Loan form from the Social Fund is 0345 603 6967.
You can post your Budgeting Loan application form or hand it in to your local Jobcentre Plus office.
It may take up to 19 working days to process your Budgeting Loan application. Wait until the processing period is complete before phoning the Budgeting Loan number to check the progress of your application.
What can I pay for using a Budgeting Loan?
- furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
- clothing or footwear
- advance rent payments
- house move costs
- home maintenance, improvements or security costs
- funeral costs
- maternity costs
- travelling costs (within the UK)
- costs related to searching for and applying for jobs
- repayment of hire purchase loans
- repayment of loans taken for the above
How much money can I borrow with a Budgeting Loan?
The minimum amount you can borrow with a Budgeting Loan is £100. The maximum you can borrow with a Budgeting Loan is subject to your circumstances.
- If you’re single the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £348
- If you have a partner the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £464
- If you or your partner claim Child Benefit the maximum Budgeting Loan you can get is £464
When you apply for a Budgeting Loan the amount of money you’re able to borrow will depend on whether:
- you’re able to pay back the loan
- you have savings or more than £1,000 (or £2,000 if you or your partner are aged 63 or over)
- you are paying back an existing Crisis Loan or Budgeting Loan