Functional Skills Maths Level 2 is the last of five maths qualifications that will help you learn maths skills for the workplace and at home. At Level 2 Maths, you’ll learn about the following maths topics: number and the number system, common measures, shape and space and, information and data.
Maths Level 2 – using numbers and the number system – whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages
During level 2 maths, you’ll learn to be able to;
- Use numbers of any size; read, write and make use of positive and negative integers of any size.
- Use, order and compare integers, fractions, decimals, percentages and ratios.
- Recognise the value of a digit in any whole or decimal number.
- use numerical and spatial patterns for a purpose and calculate with, and convert between, numbers written as fractions, decimals, percentages and ratios.
The specific content areas you’ll cover at level 2 maths about numbers and the number system are:
- 1. Read, write, order and compare positive and negative numbers of any size.
- 2. Carry out calculations with numbers up to one million including strategies to check answers including estimation and approximation.
- 3. Evaluate expressions and make substitutions in given formulae in words and symbols.
- 4. Identify and know the equivalence between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- 5. Work out percentages of amounts and express one amount as a percentage of another.
- 6. Calculate percentage change (any size increase and decrease), and original value after percentage change.
- 7. Order, add, subtract and compare amounts or quantities using proper and improper fractions and mixed numbers.
- 8. Express one number as a fraction of another.
- 9. Order, approximate and compare decimals.
- 10.Add, subtract, multiply and divide decimals up to three decimal places.
- 11.Understand and calculate using ratios, direct proportion and inverse proportion.
- 12.Follow the order of precedence of operators, including indices.
Maths Level 2 – using common measures, shape and space
At Functional Skills Maths Level 2, you’ll learn to be able to work with measures, shape and space to:
- Handle relationships between measurements of various kinds.
- use angles and coordinates when involving position and direction.
- make use of geometric properties in calculations with 2-D and 3-D shapes and understand the relationships between them.
The specific content areas you’ll cover at level 2 maths about common measures, shape and spare are:
- 13. Calculate amounts of money, compound interest, percentage increases, decreases and discounts including tax and simple budgeting.
- 14. Convert between metric and imperial units of length, weight and capacity using a) a conversion factor and b) a conversion graph.
- 15. Calculate using compound measures including speed, density and rates of pay.
- 16. Calculate perimeters and areas of 2-D shapes including triangles and circles and composite shapes including non-rectangular shapes (formulae given except for triangles and circles).
- 17. Use formulae to find volumes and surface areas of 3-D shapes including cylinders (formulae to be given for 3-D shapes other than cylinders).
- 18. Calculate actual dimensions from scale drawings and create a scale diagram given actual measurements.
- 19. Use coordinates in 2-D, positive and negative, to specify the positions of points.
- 20. Understand and use common 2-D representations of 3-D objects.
- 21. Draw 3-D shapes to include plans and elevations.
- 22. Calculate values of angles and/or coordinates with 2-D and 3-D shapes.
Maths Level 2 – handling information and data
You’ll learn about handling information and data at maths level 2. At level 2, you’ll learn how to:
- Construct, interpret and evaluate a range of statistical diagrams.
- Calculate and interpret probabilities.
- Calculate, analyse, compare and interpret appropriate data sets, tables, diagrams and statistical measures such as common averages (mean, median, mode) and spread (range).
- Use statistics to compare sets of data.
- Identify patterns and trends from data as well as recognise simple correlation.
The specific content areas you’ll cover at level 2 maths about handling information and data are:
- 23. Calculate the median and mode of a set of quantities.
- 24. Estimate the mean of a grouped frequency distribution from discrete data.
- 25. Use the mean, median, mode and range to compare two sets of data.
- 26. Work out the probability of combined events including the use of diagrams and tables, including two-way tables.
- 27. Express probabilities as fractions, decimals and percentages.
- 28. Draw and interpret scatter diagrams and recognise positive and negative correlation.
Maths Level 2 – solving mathematical problems and decision making
During your Functional Skills Maths Level 2 course, you’ll learn how to confidently complete the following:
- Read, understand, and use mathematical information and mathematical terms.
- Address individual problems as described above.
- Use knowledge and understanding to a required level of accuracy.
- Identify suitable operations and calculations to generate results.
- Analyse and interpret answers in the context of the original problem.
- Check the sense and reasonableness of answers.
- Present and explain results clearly and accurately demonstrating reasoning to support the process and show consistency with the evidence presented.
Where can I learn Functional Skills Maths Level 2?
To find level 2 maths courses near you, use the National Careers Service Course Finder. Organisations that offer free maths level 2 courses for adults include:
- Further education colleges
- Adult education centres
- Some libraries
- Other training providers