Functional Skills Maths Entry Level 2 is the second of five maths qualifications that will help you learn maths skills for the workplace and at home. At Entry Level 2, you’ll learn about the following maths topics: number and the number system, common measures, shape and space and, information and data.
You’ll learn to work through simple maths problems that have a single step to workout the answer. You’ll also learn which to recognise different types of maths problems and figure out how to solve them.
Maths Entry Level 2 – using numbers and the number system – whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- 1. Count reliably up to 100 items.
- 2. Read, write, order and compare numbers up to 200.
- 3. Recognise and sequence odd and even numbers up to 100.
- 4. Recognise and interpret the symbols +, – , x, ÷ and = appropriately.
- 5. Add and subtract two-digit numbers.
- 6. Multiply whole numbers in the range 0 times 0 to 12 times 12 (times tables).
- 7. Know the number of hours in a day and weeks in a year. Be able to name and sequence.
- 8. Divide two-digit whole numbers by single-digit whole numbers and express remainders.
- 9. Approximate by rounding to the nearest 10, and use this rounded answer to check results.
- 10.Recognise simple fractions (halves, quarters and tenths) of whole numbers and shapes.
- 11.Read, write and use decimals to one decimal place.
Maths Entry Level 2 – using common measures, shape and space
- 12. Calculate money with pence up to one pound and in whole pounds of multiple items and write with the correct symbols (£ or p).
- 13. Read and record time in common date formats, and read time displayed on analogue clocks in hours, half hours and quarter hours, and understand hours from a 24-hour digital clock.
- 14. Use metric measures of length including millimetres, centimetres, metres and kilometres.
- 15. Use measures of weight including grams and kilograms.
- 16. Use measures of capacity including millilitres and litres.
- 17. Read and compare positive temperatures.
- 18. Read and use simple scales to the nearest labelled division.
- 19. Recognise and name 2-D and 3-D shapes including pentagons, hexagons, cylinders, cuboids, pyramids and spheres.
- 20. Describe the properties of common 2-D and 3-D shapes including numbers of sides, corners, edges, faces, angles and base.
- 21. Use appropriate positional vocabulary to describe position and direction including between, inside, outside, middle, below, on top, forwards and backwards.
Maths Entry Level 2 – handling information and data
- 22. Extract information from lists, tables, diagrams and bar charts.
- 23. Make numerical comparisons from bar charts.
- 24. Sort and classify objects using two criteria.
- 25. Take information from one format and represent the information in another format including use of bar charts.
Maths Entry Level 2 – solving mathematical problems and decision making
At Functional Skills Maths Entry Level 2, you’ll be expected to:
- Use given mathematical information including numbers, symbols, simple diagrams and charts.
- Recognise, understand and use simple mathematical terms appropriate to Entry Level 2.
- Use the methods given above to produce, check and present results that make sense.
- Present appropriate explanations using numbers, measures, simple diagrams, simple charts and symbols appropriate to Entry Level 2.
Where can I learn Functional Skills Maths Entry Level 2?
To find entry level 2 maths courses near you, use the National Careers Service Course Finder. Organisations that offer free maths entry level 2 courses for adults include:
- Further education colleges
- Adult education centres
- Some libraries
- Other training providers