Functional Skills English Entry Level 2 is the first of five English qualifications that will help you learn English skills for the workplace and at home. At Entry Level 2, you'll learn about the following English topics: speaking, listening and communicating, reading and writing.
English Entry Level 2 – Speaking, Listening and Communicating
- 1. Identify and extract the main information and detail from short explanations.
- 2. Make requests and ask clear questions appropriately in different contexts.
- 3. Respond appropriately to straightforward questions.
- 4. Follow the gist of discussions.
- 5. Clearly express straightforward information and communicate feelings and opinions on a range of straightforward topics.
- 6. Make appropriate contributions to simple group discussions with others about a straightforward topic.
English Entry Level 2 – Reading
- 7. Read correctly words designated for Entry Level 2.
- 8. Understand the main points in texts.
- 9. Understand organisational markers in short, straightforward texts.
- 10. Use effective strategies to find the meaning of words and check their spelling (e.g. a simple dictionary, spell-checker).
- 11. Read and understand sentences with more than one clause.
- 12. Use illustrations, images and captions to locate information.
English Entry Level 2 – Writing
- 13. Use basic punctuation correctly (e.g. full stops, capital letters, question and exclamation marks).
- 14. Form regular plurals.
- 15. Use the first and second letters to sequence words in alphabetical order.
- 16. Spell correctly words designated for Entry Level 2.
- 17. Communicate information using words and phrases appropriate to audience and purpose.
- 18. Complete a form asking for personal information (e.g. first name, surname, address, postcode, age, date of birth).
- 19. Write in compound sentences, using common conjunctions (e.g. or, and, but) to connect clauses.
- 20. Use adjectives and simple linking words in the appropriate way.
Where can I learn Functional Skills English Entry Level 2?
To find entry level 2 English courses near you, use the National Careers Service Course Finder. Organisations that offer free English entry level 2 courses for adults include:
- Further education colleges
- Adult education centres
- Some libraries
- Other training providers